Search site

Continuing healthcare (CHC) helps you with health care needs that come from a disability, accident or illness.

NHS continuing healthcare (CHC) is the name given to care and support which is arranged and paid for by the NHS. It's also known as CHC funding. It's for people who have ongoing health care needs and may include social care costs which would normally be paid for by an individual or the council. You can receive NHS continuing healthcare if you are living in your own home or in a care home. It is not available for those in hospital. 

NHS continuing healthcare is free, unlike support provided by the council, for which a financial charge may be made depending on your income and savings.

You will need to have an assessment by a multi-disciplinary team from health and social care to see if you are eligible for CHC.  If you are eligible and you live in your own home, this means that the NHS will pay for services such as a community nurse or specialist therapist. They may also pay for other care needs such as, help with bathing and dressing, food preparation and shopping. 

If you live in a care home, NHS continuing healthcare can pay for your care home fees, including board and accommodation. (opens in a new window) gives you more information about NHS continuing healthcare (CHC) and the assessment process.

    Page last updated: 19/02/2021 15:59
    MyLifeMyCare feedback