Search site

How we find out if we will pay towards the cost of your care and support.

The financial assessment will be different based upon whether you will be receiving care services in your own home, which includes short breaks away, or if you will be in a residential care home or a nursing home.

The financial assessment will be carried out by one of our financial assessment officers.  It is usually a face-to-face meeting, in your own home or at your local council office if you prefer.  It can sometimes take place over the phone.   

The assessment is made up of different sections as below.


We will ask you to provide information and evidence about your savings and any other assets you have. These could include:

  • bank/building society/Post Office accounts
  • property you own 
  • Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs), bonds or trusts
  • life assurance bonds
  • stocks and shares
  • Premium Bonds
  • cash

If you give away assets to avoid paying the full fees, the value of these assets will still be included in your assessment.

Income (any money you receive)

We will ask you to provide information and evidence of any money you have coming in including:

  • state pension
  • private pension
  • occupational pension
  • Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment
  • Income Support
  • Attendance Allowance
  • annuities or trust income (savings income)

Housing related costs

We will ask you to provide information and evidence of any money you spend relating to your home including:

  • mortgage payments
  • rent (that you pay)
  • council tax
  • service charges/ground rent, if these apply 
  • buildings insurance (that you pay)

Other housing related expenses such as gas, electric, water or food are not included. This is because an allowance is made for these in our calculation. The amount allowed is set by the Government.

Disability related expenditure

This only applies if you will be receiving care in your own home and will not be going into a residential home.

Disability related expenditure (DRE) refers to any outgoings you have as a result of your disabilities, and which enable you to maintain your independence or quality of life. 

DRE may take into account any general household expenses that relate to your disability or illness. These may include:

  • electricity, gas or other fuel bills
  • water bills
  • personal care
  • clothing
  • food
  • assistive living items

If you feel you do have a DRE you will need to:

  • provide evidence from your GP or other health or social care professional
  • tell us how much you are paying and provide evidence

Page last updated: 05/04/2018 09:44
MyLifeMyCare feedback