The financial assessment

How we find out if we will pay towards the cost of your care and support.

The financial assessment will be different based upon whether you will be receiving care services in your own home, which includes short breaks away, or if you will be in a residential care home or a nursing home.

The financial assessment will be carried out by one of our financial assessment officers.  It usually takes place over the phone or as a face-to-face meeting, in your own home or at a BCP Council office if you prefer.   

The assessment is made up of different sections as below.


We will ask you to provide information and evidence about your savings and any other assets you have. These could include:

  • bank/building society/Post Office accounts
  • property you own 
  • Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs), bonds or trusts
  • life assurance bonds
  • stocks and shares
  • Premium Bonds
  • cash

If you give away assets to avoid paying the full fees, the value of these assets will still be included in your assessment.

Income (any money you receive)

We will ask you to provide information and evidence of any money you have coming in including:

  • state pension
  • private pension
  • occupational pension
  • Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment
  • Income Support
  • Attendance Allowance
  • annuities or trust income (savings income)

Housing related costs

We will ask you to provide information and evidence of any money you spend relating to your home including:

  • mortgage payments
  • rent (that you pay)
  • council tax
  • service charges/ground rent, if these apply 
  • buildings insurance (that you pay)

Other housing related expenses such as gas, electric, water or food are not included. This is because an allowance is made for these in our calculation. The government sets a minimum amount for this.

Disability related expenditure

This only applies if you will be receiving care in your own home and will not be going into a residential home.

Disability related expenditure (DRE) refers to outgoings you have as a result of your disabilities, and which enable you to maintain your independence. 

DRE can be particular expenses you have because of your disability, such as adaptations to clothing, or may be the extra amount you pay for usual household expenses, above what a usual amount would be. For example:

  • extra cost of electricity, gas or other fuel bills
  • extra cost of water bills
  • extra cost of laundry products
  • assistive living items

If you feel you do have an expense that should be considered as DRE you may need to provide evidence such as receipts or a letter from your GP or other health or social care professional.

It is a good idea to check if some of your expenses are covered by the NHS as we would not usually treat these types of costs as DRE. For example, the NHS can cover the cost of some footcare services (opens in a new window).

Page last updated: 17/08/2021 14:30