Search site

Need support? Together We Can, our COVID-19 community response helpline, is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday for people in vital need of food and essential household items. Phone 0300 123 7052.

What has BCP Council Adult Social Care been doing to plan and respond to the COVID-19 outbreak?

We are working closely with health colleagues and Dorset Council to support the response to the COVID-19 outbreak. We are following our emergency plans, as well as government guidance.

How are you going to ensure people receive the care and support they need?

We are working with providers to achieve this. It will include a range of considerations from identifying the most vulnerable people, to ensure they continue to be supported, to identifying people who can be supported by their family and community networks during this time.

What are the arrangements if someone needs an assessment of their care and support needs?

We will make critical visits only and will undertake telephone assessments as far as possible. If visiting, we will check if the person has had any symptoms or been in contact with anyone with confirmed, or exposure to, COVID-19 prior to visiting and use personal protective equipment as appropriate.

Is there information on shopping support if people are self isolating?

If support is needed with shopping during this time, check for current information on services offering food and meal delivery services in your local area.

What is happening to day services? Are they closing?

Day services closed on Monday 23 March 2020. As part of the closures we will be working with day services to ensure client safety and well-being is considered in order to provide appropriate support during the closures.

What is happening around the provision of home care and within care home settings?

As part of assessing risk, we are undertaking calls with our service users to ascertain whether they present with any symptoms of COVID-19 before we visit. Care homes will determine their own access arrangements and families and friends are encouraged to contact the relevant home directly

The government has also issued new guidance for care workers outlining that they should use personal protective equipment (PPE) for activities that bring them into close personal contact, such as washing and bathing, personal hygiene and contact with the virus. This PPE includes aprons, gloves and fluid repellent surgical masks, and potentially eye protection, and care workers will start to use this equipment when somebody has symptoms. This equipment must be used only once. There is more information around the use of PPE in the government guidance

What are the hospital discharge arrangements for adults with care and support needs?

Whilst there are a small number of cases of COVID-19 in the BCP Council area, our health and care services are preparing for the eventuality that these numbers increase. They will be discharging patients who do not have critical care needs and we will be working with them to ensure packages of support are available in the community or in residential settings.

What arrangements are in place for people needing a financial assessment of their care needs?

BCP Council will continue to undertake financial assessments; however, these will now be undertaken via telephone.

What will happen regarding any disabled adaptation to my property during this period?

Any minor or major adaptations, unless critical, are not currently being undertaken. Any critical works are being discussed on a case by case basis between the occupational therapist and our housing team to consider the most appropriate way forward. Any adaptation work which has been started will be completed, but no new work is currently being undertaken. The Housing Grants Team has contacted all clients who are waiting for adaptations to be progressed.

Information and advice is changing rapidly, and information contained on these pages was correct at time of publishing. However, if you discover anything has changed, please use the 'give feedback' button to let us know.

Page last updated: 02/06/2020 16:07
MyLifeMyCare feedback