Search site

Bereavement affects people in different ways, there is no time limit and there is no right or wrong way to feel. We have advice on where you can go for help and support if you have lost a loved one.

Once the death has been registered, a funeral can be arranged. Most people use a funeral director, but you can also arrange a funeral yourself. The funeral can be paid for by money from the person's estate, from a financial scheme or by you, other family members or friends. Local funeral directors may also have individual plans and payment schemed to help with the cost of funerals.

If you are in receipt of certain benefits or entitlements you may qualify for a  Funeral Expenses Payment (opens in a new window) from the Department for Work and Pensions.

The  Bereavement Advice Centre (opens in a new window) has detailed advice and a printable guide to advise you what to do after someone dies.

For more information about funerals and cremations in your area:

Free, impartial advice on arranging funerals is available from the Bereavement Services Team at  BCP Council (opens in a new window) or Poole Crematorium (opens in a new window).

Charitable organisations

There are charitable organisations offer financial help with funeral expenses. It may be useful to find a charity that works specifically with people in your situation; for example, you may want to think about:

  • How the person died.
  • The occupation of the person who died, or your own occupation.
  • Your age, or that of the person who died.
Page last updated: 06/08/2019 12:05
MyLifeMyCare feedback