Finance Care Service

Daily money management and safeguarding vulnerable adults (DWP Appointee, Appointeeships, LPAs and Deputyships)

The Finance Care Service (FCS) provides daily money management for vulnerable adults.  Providing a national service that pays bills, protects from financial abuse, claims benefit entitlements, negotiates with creditors and delivers support with how to spend money in best interests.  It takes pride in assisting with the financial requirements of each adult represented, whilst communicating with social workers, care providers, local authorities, professionals and family members to resolve financial needs and desired outcomes.

Do you help dependant and/or vulnerable Adult Service Users who are unable to access or manage their finances?  Or do you help Adult Service Users for whom there are concerns about those around them accessing those finances? 

If so, a DWP appointed Appointee may be able to help.

As a DWP appointed Corporate Appointee, the FCS helps by protecting from financial abuse, claiming entitlements, negotiating with creditors and supporting adults with how to spend their money in their best interests in addition to providing daily money management. 

What is the Finance Care Service?

It is a corporate appointee organisation appointed by the DWP to receive benefits on behalf of someone unable to manage their financial affairs, or someone who may be at risk of financial abuse when it is safer to appoint another to manage their money.

It acts all throughout the UK supporting adults with learning disabilities, adults with mental health support needs, older adults or anyone who needs financial advocacy support

What does the Finance Care Service do?

As corporate appointee it is responsible for acting on behalf of the adult in all dealings with the DWP, including:

  • acting as liaison and point of contact for finances, including creditors;
  • collecting benefits and managing monies in best interests, which can include paying care bills and household bills, providing monies to carers and support workers for shopping and spends and providing money for holidays, equipment, clothes and furniture;
  • identification of suitable benefits claims;
  • completing and signing of benefits claim forms;
  • providing evidence to the DWP of entitlement;
  • reporting relevant changes to the DWP of the adult's circumstances such as going into hospital or a change of persons living with the adult.

The service is unique as appointeeships are not just set up, left, and then acted upon when needed.  Instead they are proactively monitored and evolve over time.  Strategies are put in place to make positive impacts to lives in light of financial status.  It is important to note that the FCS is not just an appointee; instead, it provides very real hands-on support to circles of care and works hard to improve lives.

Find out more on our website (opens in a new window)

How does the Finance Care Service hold the adult's monies?

The adult's monies are held in a bank account specifically set up for corporate appointee management.  The account belongs to the adult and is made out in their name.  The account is accessible and manageable by the appointee.

The monies held by the bank are subject to their duties under the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulation and the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).

Shopping card for carers

A separate carer's shopping card banking platform can be provided alongside the appointeeship, or as a separate standalone service, whereupon a prepaid debit card is provided to the adult's carers/care providers/support workers which allows managed and monitored access to smaller sums of money for shopping and spends.

Find out more on our website (opens in a new window)

How are referrals made to the Finance Care Service?

Referrals are usually made by social workers, care managers and local authorities following the outcome of a needs assessment.  If the adult is assessed as not having capacity to manage money or the adult would like help, the referral can be made.  The referral process is done online via the referralsĀ page (opens in a new window).

Referrals are made via desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone or tablet in about 10 minutes, or over the telephone on 0161 973 5759 or even by email/post.

What happens after a referral is made to the Finance Care Service?

Once the referral is received, FCS will contact you within 24 hours to confirm receipt and request a referral letter or needs assessment.  The letter or assessment is filed with the DWP BF56 appointee application form at the DWP.  The process for appointment takes around 4-6 weeks.

The FCS is managed by a solicitor (non-practising since 2020 to setup the Finance Care Service) with many years of legal and Court of Protection (Finance and Property) deputyship experience.

The ethos of the FCS is to have a positive impact on the lives of adults it represents and to make the jobs of social workers, support workers, safeguarding teams, advocates, charities, domiciliary care agencies, care home operators and family members easier. 

The FCS is here to help.  Please get in touch with any queries or if you need any assistance.

We support (not an exhaustive list):

  • becoming older
  • learning disability
  • mental health
  • autistic Spectrum
  • dementia
  • communication
  • physical impairment
  • challenging behaviour
  • profound or multiple needs
  • hearing impairment
  • substance misuse
  • visual impairment
Activity takes place: Fridays, Mondays, Thursdays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays 9am to 6pm
Audience: Older people, Sight loss, Hearing loss, Learning disability, Mental health, Autism, Dementia, Communication difficulties, Physical disability, Challenging behaviour, Vulnerable adults, Profound or multiple needs, Substance misuse
Areas served: BH1 (Town centre, Springbourne, East Cliffe, Boscombe), BH10 (Kinson, Northbourne, Redhill, Ensbury Park, Wallisdown), BH11 (Kinson, Bear Cross, West Howe, Wallisdown), BH12 (Branksome, Alderney, Upper Parkstone, Newtown), BH13 (Canford Cliffs, Sandbanks, Branksome Park), BH14 (Lower Parkstone, Lilliput, Penn Hill), BH15 (Town centre, Hamworthy, Oakdale, Longfleet), BH16 (Upton, Turlin Moor, Lytchett Minster, Lytchett Matravers, Hamworthy), BH17 (Canford Heath, Creekmoor), BH18 (Broadstone), BH19 (Swanage), BH2 (Town centre, Westcliffe), BH20 (Wareham, Bere Regis), BH21 (Colehill, Corfe Mullen, Merley, Sturminster Marshall, Wimborne), BH22 (Ferndown, West Moors, West Parley), BH23 (Christchurch, Burton, Highcliffe), BH24 (Ringwood), BH25 (New Milton), BH3 (Talbot Woods, Winton), BH31 (Verwood), BH4 (Westbourne, Branksome Woods), BH5 (Boscombe, Pokesdown), BH6 (Southbourne, Tuckton, Wick, Iford, Pokesdown), BH7 (Littledown, Iford), BH8 (Malmesbury Park, Charminster, Queens Park, Strouden Park, Townsend), BH9 (Moordown, Throop, Muscliffe), DT1 (Dorchester Town), DT10 (Sturminster Newton, Marnhull), DT11 (Blandford, Milborne St Andrew, Milton Abbas, Okeford Fitzpaine, Tarrant Hinton), DT2 (Broadmayne, Frampton, Maiden Newton, Martinstown, Piddletrenthide, Puddletown, Puncknowle, Swyre, West Bexington, Sydling St Nicholas), DT3 (Weymouth, Chickerell, Osmington, Portesham, Preston, Sutton Poyntz), DT4 (Weymouth, Westham), DT5 (Portland), DT6 (Bridport, Charmouth, Loders), DT7 (Lyme Regis), DT8 (Beaminster, Broadwindsor), DT9 (Sherborne), SP5 (Sixpenny Handley), SP6 (Alderholt, Fordingbridge), SP7 (Shaftesbury), SP8 (Gillingham, Silton), TA12 (), TA13 (), TA14 (), TA15 (), TA16 (), TA17 (), TA18 (), TA20 (Thorncombe)
Keywords: Power of Attorney, Deputyships, Appointeeships, Money management
  1. Name:
    Finance Care Service
    Atlantic Business Centre
    Atlantic Street
    WA14 5NQ
    United Kingdom
    Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm 0161 973 5759 (24-hour line for service users)

BCP Council is not responsible for the content, reliability or availability of external web sites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. Listing of organisations in our Directory should not be taken as an endorsement of any kind.

Please note that availability of these services may be restricted due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the details on this website may not reflect the current situation.  If you need to tell us about incorrect information please tell us using the details on the 'contact us' page.  

Page last updated: 08/04/2022 12:25