Search site

Care homes are not the only option to consider, there are other housing options and many ways you can get help to stay in your own home.

Housing options for people with a learning or physical disability

Sheltered housing and extra care housing are not just for older people. They may be suitable if you are a younger person with a physical or learning disability.

You might be able to use your direct payment or personal budget to pay for additional care if it is not already given.

Some extra care schemes have been designed especially for disabled people.

Supported living

Supported Living is mainly for adults with care and support needs. It can be provided in a flat or house you rent or share.

The aim of Supported Living is to increase your independence over time. It does this by providing a package of support. This varies with individual need and ability and could be from a few hours a week to 24 hour support. Examples of support include;

  • managing a home and money
  • personal care and help with tasks such as shopping and cooking
  • accessing education opportunities
  • finding voluntary or paid employment
  • taking part in social and leisure activities and community life

Shared Lives

The  Shared Lives (opens in a new window) scheme is for people with learning disabilities, physical disabilities, mental health problems, long term illness and dementia. The scheme will match you with a family and you will share their home and take part in family life.

Buying a house - shared ownership

It may be possible for you or your family to buy a share in a property. Learning Disability England have information about  shared ownership (opens in a new window).

Page last updated: 11/04/2018 16:56
MyLifeMyCare feedback