Search site

Care homes are not the only option to consider, there are other housing options and many ways you can get help to stay in your own home.

Supported lodgings - when you are leaving care

Supported lodgings is a housing option for people aged 16 and over which prepares you to live on your own when leaving foster or residential care.

You can find out more about supported lodgings in;

Step by Step (opens in a new window) work with young people aged from 11 to 25 and offer help with accommodation, support, training, and counselling.

Some of the services they offer can be accessed directly or by a friend or relative.

Supported accommodation

Supported accommodation is available for young people aged 16 to 25 with extra care and support needs (aged 18 to 25 for those who are homeless or have an addiction or mental health problem). Supported accommodation helps you to get back on your feet and teaches valuable housing related life skills. Supported accommodation can be your home for a maximum of two years, or less if you are ready to move on sooner.

Examples of support include;

  • managing a home and a tenancy
  • managing money, benefits and bills
  • shopping, washing and cooking
  • education and training
  • finding a doctor and dentist
  • finding voluntary or paid employment
  • taking part in social activities and community life

If you want to apply for any of the housing options, you will need to complete a housing application to have your name placed on the register with Dorset Home Choice.


Page last updated: 19/06/2018 16:04
MyLifeMyCare feedback