Search site

Information about paying for care services to keep you safe and independent at home.

Some people think that moving into a care home is the only solution. But with the right help and support, many people can live safely and independently in their own home. This usually costs far less than a care home and for most people is a better option.

Take a look at finding help to see what types of help and support are available to you.

Paying for care

It is important to understand that most people will have to pay something towards the cost of their care. You may be eligible to receive financial support from the council if you have savings or investments (available capital) of less than £23,250.

Eligibility for council help

If you would like help from the council we will need to find out if your care needs meet our eligibility criteria.

If you are not eligible for financial help, we may still be able to advise you on the type of support you might need and the organisations that can provide it.

To find out if we can help you and if we will pay something towards the cost of your care, we will carry out what we call a supported assessment and a financial assessment.

Support for healthcare needs

If you have mostly healthcare needs and need a nurse to support you rather than a carer, you may be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare.

Future care planning

Our top ten things to think about will help you to plan your future care, even if you don't need support at the moment.

We also have advice on financial care planning.

Page last updated: 04/02/2019 10:10
MyLifeMyCare feedback