Paying for care in a care home

You can get help paying for your stay at a residential home if you have under £23,250 in savings and do not own property.  If you have more savings than £23,250 or you own property, you'll have to pay the full cost of your care but this may be under a Deferred Payment Agreement

Our charging policy 

We make charges in line with the Care Act 2014 and the Department for Health and Social Care's charging regulations.  We must make sure our charging policy: 

  • is fair to everyone; 

  • is easy to understand; 

  • gives good value for money; and 

  • takes into account your ability to pay. 

We can provide information to help you choose services that meet your needs. 

Eligibility for council help 

If you would like help from the council we will need to find out if your care needs meet our eligibility criteria

If you are not eligible for financial help, we may still be able to advise you on the type of support you might need and the organisations that can provide it. 

To find out if we can help you and if we will pay something towards the cost of your care, we will carry out call a supported assessment and a financial assessment

Support for healthcare needs 

If you have mostly healthcare needs and need a nurse to support you rather than a carer, you may be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare

Future care planning 

Our top ten things to think about will help you to plan your future care, even if you don't need support at the moment. 

We also have advice on financial care planning

Page last updated: 25/02/2021 10:41