Paying for residential care

Information about paying to live in a care home.

Help from the council 

It is important to understand that most people will have to pay something towards the cost of their care. If you have less than £23,250 in capital/savings, the council may contribute financially towards your care costs after we have carried out an assessment of your care needs and finances.

NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC)

NHS Continuing Healthcare may help you if you have mostly healthcare needs and need a nurse to support you rather than a carer.

NHS-funded nursing care (FNC)

NHS-funded nursing care (opens in a new window) may be an option if you are not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare but you have been assessed as having care needs.

Most people don't need a separate assessment for NHS-funded nursing care. If you're eligible, payment will be made directly to your nursing home.

If you own your home

If you're moving into residential care, the value of your home is included in the assessment of your capital unless a partner, relative who is over 60 or disabled, or any child(ren) you have who are under 18 are still living there.

If you sell your property, the proceeds from the sale will be taken into account as part of your capital.

Deferred Payment Agreement is an arrangement with us to use the value of your home to pay towards your residential care home fees.

Third party contributions

You can choose to go into a more expensive home if someone else like a relative, friend or charity is willing to pay the difference between the council's rate and your chosen home's fees. This is called a third party top-up arrangement and can be used if you: 

  • would prefer to live in a care home that costs more than the council is prepared to pay or for extras, such as living in a larger room or having a better view
  • want to live in a more expensive area to be closer to family or friends and this wasn't identified in the needs assessment
  • were self-funding but are now eligible for local authority funding and want to stay in the same home

The person making the additional top-up payment will have a separate legal agreement with the Council and must:

  • be able to keep up the payments or you could be asked to move into a cheaper home
  • be prepared to meet the cost of future increases in the payment when fees are reviewed

You are not allowed to make this additional payment from your own money except in very limited circumstances if we have already assessed your contribution as the maximum you can pay.

Page last updated: 20/04/2021 16:48