Welfare benefits

How to get help with benefits.

Attendance Allowance (AA)

Bereavement benefits

Budgeting Loans

Carers Allowance

Child Benefit

Council Tax Reduction

If you are on a low income and/or in receipt of certain benefits you may be able to get a reduction on your Council Tax bill. Generally you will need to be resident in the house you are claiming for, live in the UK and have less than a certain amount of capital. Each council runs its own scheme so you need to check the rules for where you live:

If you live in Bournemouth (opens in a new window)

If you live in Christchurch (opens in a new window)

If you live in Poole (opens in a new window)

Employment and Support Allowance (contribution based)

Emergency Welfare Assistance / Local Welfare Assistance / Discretionary Housing Payments

Find out about the local scheme for Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (opens in a new window)

Housing Benefit 

Housing Costs

For some of the income-related means-tested benefits, including Universal Credit, you may be able to get some help with your mortgage interest payments. The rules on this are complex so it is a good idea to speak to a financial advisor.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Jobseeker's Allowance (contribution based)

If you are seeking work and living on a low income you will now need to claim Universal Credit(opens in a new window)(Opens in a new window) instead, but you should check any entitlement to contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance as well. 

Pension Credit

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

State pension

There is information and advice on  claiming State Pension. (opens in a new window).  There is also a  State Pension Calculator (opens in a new window).

Deferring your State Pension

You don't have to claim your State Pension when you reach your State Pension age. If you want, you can put off your claim and get extra pension when you do claim.

You can get more information about  deferring your State Pension (opens in a new window).

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

You can claim  Universal Credit (opens in a new window) if you do not qualify for contribution based Employment and Support Allowance.

There is more information about how to apply for  Statutory Sick Pay (opens in a new window).

Tax credits

Universal Credit

Winter Fuel Payment

Find out more about the  Winter Fuel Payment (opens in a new window).

Cold Weather Payment

Find out more about  Cold Weather Payments (opens in a new window).

Warm Homes Discount

Find out more about  Warm Home Discount Scheme (opens in a new window).

Benefit cap 

The government sets an upper limit (opens in a new window) on how much you can receive in total from certain benefits.

Page last updated: 10/06/2019 12:26